9.5.08

forced rhubarb

a story from a magazine that someone gave me...


Sleep.

Unable to sleep, the man takes a sleeping pill. Groggy in the morning, he finds he must pop a caffeine pill just to stay awake; a vitamin tab to stay healthy; and a good day herb to stay sane.

At lunch he takes a diet supplement drug. To relax in the afternoon he takes a sedative. For entertainment after hours he indulges in a sex pill.

The man takes a sleeping pill - unable to sleep.

In the morning he wakes to find a grizzly bear standing over him.

I kissed you, the bear says. I kissed you and you woke up.

Thanks. Want some breakfast? The man asks.

No, I'm not hungry. I just had a goldilocks and some porridge. Maybe later though.

Later, for lunch, the bear slashes at the man's stomach. Pills spill from his abdominal cavity. The man smiles and laughs. The bear wants to cry, but finds himself unable to cry.

The bear wakes to find it was all just a horrible dream.

The bear goes to work at the circus. People toss him hot dog butts and candyfloss sticks. They poke at him with rules and pelt him with stones.

He sues, but loses his lawsuit on account of bad lawyers he hired from a television commercial. The bear attacks the attorneys, tearing them limb from twisted limb. One of the lawyers cries out for his wife. She wakes him.

It was only a dream, his wife says.
I had the most horrible dream. I dreamt I was a lawyer, the man confesses.

The woman wakes.

I was married to a man dreaming he was a lawyer eaten by a bear. Now I can't remember whether I'm a woman dreaming of being a lawyer's wife, or a lawyer's wife dreaming that she is a woman.


love it.

No comments: